[bct] Re: accepting blindness.doc

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:12:16 -0800

Jamie,

Apparently, if you have some light perception and can perceive light in some way, the sleep disorder doesn't affect you as much. I have light perception but it's just bare light; no colors. If I'm outside for a certain amount of time, I sleep better at night, especially in summer when the sun is brighter. For some blind people who still have their optic nerves somewhat intact, they don't have to consciously perceive light to be able to overcome the disorder. As long as the brain senses it enough to produce melatonin, then you can start getting drowsy when it gets dark. I think some people take melatonin sometimes to help adjust their sleep patterns. It's quite safe but doesn't always work for some reason.

Mary