[bct] acceptance/discrimination - renamed from JFW/WE comparison

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:38:23 -0800 (PST)

I must say that the most inclusive group I have ever found is within
neo-Paganism.  It has matured into a very open and welcoming group that deals
with blind, deaf, learning disabled, gay, straight, children, adults, elders,
you name it.  They used to be homophobic in the 50's and even a bit in the
early 60's, but that has changed, probably as we have gotten older.

Like others, I have dealt with discrimination, but largely people don't know
because I have been hearing impaired so long and learned so many coping skills
that I often pass as hearing.  However, I tend to be the poster child for
disability awareness wherever I go as I don't hide the hearing aid that I have
other issues.  I've had people deny that I was hearing impaired and then pulled
off my hearing aid and handed it to them - much to their astonishment.  People
don't get it that I can hear some things but not others - even one of my
friends at school had a minor melt-down over my insisting on being given equal
access because of my hearing.  He's young - hopefully, he will "get it" later.

Humans are innately clannish and exclusive in their little groups.  We are like
wolves or other primates (chimps for one) with a pack or troop mentality.  It
served us well when we were in our early stages of development, but it is a
hindrance to us now.

Interestingly, the root for most names such as tribal names - all around the
world mean something like "the people" or "the real people" or "the only
people" which means everyone else is not people, non-human, of no value.  It
should come as no suprise that the differently able are also not considered a
part of the "real people" - sad, but not suprising.

I suspect we will see racial integration and equality a long time before we see
equality between all people in terms of ability/disability.  We've still got a
long way to go.

Mary Emerson <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       Neal,
 That is a humiliating experience your professor  had. I got a lot of that when
I was in school; I was called "that thing" by kids  who had obviously never
dealt with disabled people; even in college when  attending something with my
room mate, kids from the nearby University of  California sat near us
specifically to make fun of us; my room mate was sighted,  but they made fun of
her helping me. I even got some of it in the work place. I  even got humiliated
by a couple of kids at a Billy Graham meeting one time who  obviously had no
training in how to deal with disabled people; we aren't  supposed to hear them
when they say offensive things about us and are standing a  few feet away, and
these kids were the ones who were "trained" to wander around,  pestering people
to "make a decision". It's all in the past though, so I chalk  it up to
ignorance. Just because somebody goes to church doesn't mean they can't  be
mean. I can too, I admit; when cult members come to my door, I
 slam it
 in  their faces, and I am grateful they don't come back. There is a time to be
firm  and assertive; if you don't stand your ground with some people, they'll
walk all over you and enjoy it.
 Mary, who really hates being confrontational but there's a time and place  for