[bct] Re: a good registry cleaner.

  • From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:28:08 -0800

Dan.
Yes, there are many items in the MS-config list that are unidentifiable.
Someone once sent me a list of things that are apt to turn up there, and their
description.  But I never found anything in it that had useful information for
me.  I'm wondering if there is someplace online that can give us such info.  I
know once I inadvertently unchecked something that my Open Book program needed.
There was nothing listed with the item to warn me of the item's purpose.  So
when OpenBook didn't cooperate the next time I opened it I got on the phone to
Freedomscientific.  The tech guy went into a tale spin trying to figure out what
might be wrong.  Then I remembered I had done some unchecking in the ms-config
list.  Fortunately I had written down what was done.  I read this to the tech
man and he had a fit, telling me to stay out of there!  I laughed and told him
we had both learned something.  And why didn't FS tell us somewhere in the
unhelpful help files, that this item was vital to the running of the program?
So I don't uncheck anything I can't identify.  But at least I can uncheck the
identifiable things that don't need to run at boot up.  I'm hoping Debee's
coming podcast may give some clues about some of the obscure things.  I know I
have something that's called something like "Statistical analysis" that pops up
and runs something seemingly whenever it has a mind to do so.  Since I have no
troubles on the system that I know about, I wish this would just go away until I
may want it.  There has to be somewhere to shut it off.  Such is life with
computers.
Lois