[bct] Re: Youthfulness and technology

  • From: Krister Ekstrom <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:19:29 +0100

Hey Mary, I'd love to participate in a "remember when" skype podcast. Only problem, i guess, would be the time difference since i live in Europe and probably am asleep when you are ready to record anything.<grin>
I'm 42 and have always been interested in technology especially sound and computers. I got kinda nostalgic when i listened to Lynnettes, (sorry for the spelling<smile>) career podcast. I too remember the dos days although i wasn't into command line interfacec more than very briefly.
/Krister

Mary Emerson wrote:

Neal and all,
I was around when they used punched cards for main frame computer input, and before the IBM 360 and 370 machines were invented, although I was only about ten years old then; so maybe that counts too. Maybe all the over-40 set should do a Skype podcast called "remember when" and give everyone else a taste of living history. My parents told us a lot about world war two and how they felt and lived through it, and it was incredible! Speaking of Skype, Hope, Megan and I had a blast this afternoon using Skype and I recorded part of it, but it didn't come out well enough to use in a podcast; next time I'll just use the internal microphones and lean the recorder against the speakers for quick recording. My sound card doesn't have the "record what you hear" feature.
Speaking of living history, I heard on the StarDate podcast this morning that the computer used in the Apollo spacecraft was incrredibly primitive by today's standards; it only had around 74 KB of ROM and 4 KB of RAM. It could only hold the equivalent of a page of text. Just imagine what we could do today on a similar mission if circumstances allowed us to go back to the lunar surface with current technology!
Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Skype name: mkemerson
Podcast feed: emerson.libsyn.com/rss