[bct] Youthfulness and technology

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:56:12 -0800

Neal and all,

I was around when they used punched cards for main frame computer input, and
before the IBM 360 and 370 machines were invented, although I was only about
ten years old then; so maybe that counts too. Maybe all the over-40 set should
do a Skype podcast called "remember when" and give everyone else a taste of
living history. My parents told us a lot about world war two and how they felt
and lived through it, and it was incredible!  Speaking of Skype, Hope, Megan
and I had a blast this afternoon using Skype and I recorded part of it, but it
didn't come out well enough to use in a podcast; next time I'll just use the
internal microphones and lean the recorder against the speakers for quick
recording. My sound card doesn't have the "record what you hear" feature.

Speaking of living history, I heard on the StarDate podcast this morning that
the computer used in the Apollo spacecraft was incrredibly primitive by today's
standards; it only had around 74 KB of ROM and 4 KB of RAM. It could only hold
the equivalent of a page of text. Just imagine what we could do today on a
similar mission if circumstances allowed us to go back to the lunar surface
with current technology!

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson