[bct] Re: Wireless networking and security

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:06:39 -0800

Hi Joni,

My opinion is that people are just a bit too paranoid about wireless
security.  I have set up many wireless networks and I'm still in touch with
all those clients.  None of them have ever experienced any kind of intrusion
into their systems.  I use 128 bit wep encryption on my Linksys WRT54G
router and I change the SSID from the default.  They recommend that you turn
of broadcasting of your SSID, but I haven't done that and have had no
problems.

I do live in a small town in a quiet neighborhood, so I'm probably not
exposed to the hacker types that prey on folks in large urban areas.  I have
added a bigger antenna to my router and I've taken a laptop over 200 feet
down the block without losing my connection.  I'm amazed at how many of my
neighbors have completely open router with no security whatsoever.  It would
be very easy to go in and alter their router's setup to the point where I
could use their router, but they wouldn't be able to get into it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the most secure settings possible.
Don't worry too much about it because all the schemes are pretty easy to
master.  It just a matter of learning what the various terms mean and what
the various setup pages of your router are about.  I have setup many
different brands and models of wireless routers and would be happy to help
you via the telephone to get securely set up in your new location.

Bill