[bct] Wireless networking and security

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCT" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:32:37 -0600

We currently have a wireless network setup for Internet sharing.  The
technicians who set up the Comcast connection also did the WEP encryption.
I have heard more than once that WPA is better security.  I have also heard
about mac addresses but have no idea what this is or how to configure it.

This message is prompted both by Scott's comments on the subject and the
fact that we are going to make a long-distance move soon and will have to
set up a new Internet connection and I feel totally uncertain about what I
need to do to ensure we have a secure connection.

I would really like to learn more about this subject but don't know a good
source of information that is easily understood by someone who is a casual
computer user.  By that I mean I don't have a computer background and just
learn what I need to learn to do the things I want to do.  I don't know if
this subject would lend itself to a podcast but I would certainly appreciate
anyone who has mastered the process of ensuring security with a wireless
home network sharing even any basic insights.

Also thanks for the router recommendation Scott.  We are currently just
renting one so I will make a note of this for our research.  I feel some
pressure to be up and running as quickly as I can after the move since I
need my computer for work.