[bct] Windows XP Update semi-successful

  • From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:57:42 -0500

Hello, all. My computer has been down for a few days, but it's back now. I've
got the windows XP update taken care of, but there are some problems.
First of all, it would appear that I'll no longer be able to use my Alva Model
280 braille display. Technicly, JFW hasn't supported it for years, but intil
now, there's always been a workaround. If anyone has any ideas on how I might
be able to continue using this display, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I
may be in search of a new home for it: someone who has no immediate plans to
upgrade past win98 any time soon.
The other problem I'm having is that although we supposedly installed and are
using the soundblaster audigy sound card, it would appear that the computer's
onboard soundchip is being used. I'm saying this because I am no longer able to
use my midi sound fonts, and the sound quality in general just isn't quite as
it should be. The other thing that made me suspicious that this isn't the
audigy card is that audio control panel isn't showing up in my control panel.
Is it just a matter of reinstalling the SB audigy software, or am I going to
need to explore other options?
Other than those two quirks, I think that everything is more or less running
smoothly. I think I'll need to reinstall a bunch of stuff, but that's not too
big of a deal. For now, I'm going to focus on getting caught up on e-mail,
although that task will have to wait til the weekend since I need to get to bed
fairly soon in order to be functional at work tomorrow.
I hope that you are all having a great day, and thanks in advance for any tips
you may have on getting this computer back to "normal."