[bct] Wikki?

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:21:52 +1100

Hi Lynnette,

I believe your right and Wikki is a Hawaiian word. I believe it means
'quick'.

Essentially, wikki refers to a simplified way of marking up html. It
has a couple of really basic markup instructions, so for example, if
you wanted a bit of text to be marked up as a level two html heading,
instead of doing

<h2>this is the level two heading</h2>

you would just write

** This is the level two heading

with the two asterix characters at the beginning of a line telling the
wikki markup engine to format the following text as a h2 html heading.

Using a wikki does mean you lose a lot of the power of HTML, but for a
lot of things, you don't often need that power and most wikki engines
will allow you to embed html into the text anyway. The really nice
thing is that because it has a very simple markup language consisting
of only a dozen or so rules, its easy to learn and use, which has the
benefit of empowering anyone to contribute who feels they have
something worthwhile to add. The downside can be that sometimes, some
people just shouldn't be empowered!

The nice thing about using a simplified markup is that you can then
create a system which allows you to edit web pages through your web
browser - generally, all you do is hit an edit link and you are
presented with a text area box in your browser with the current wikki
markup text in it that you can edit. When you hit submit, the updated
information is placed into the wikki.

This makes it easy to create cooperative web sites where the users can
update and add information and can reduce the workload on a single
person which commonly exists with more traditional web sites. The
downside can be that if you leave the whole site open to the internet
without any login required, you do leave yourself open for spammers
and other immature script kiddies who like to destroy rather than
create.

A good example of a fairly successful wikki is wikkipedia, the on-line
encyclopedia. This site's content has not been created by just one
person, but rather has developed as various people on the internet
have added bits.

There are a lot of different wikki engines out there and we would need
to try a few out until we find one which suits everyone (as best we
can). some will probably work better with screen readers than
others. We are also limited to using whatever script language is
supported by the web server the wikki will live on.

Tim