[bct] Re: Why Atheism Is Bunk

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:20:56 -0500

Actually, an atheist will rarely make an absolute statement that there is no god. Rather, he or she will simply say they do not believe in a god. This is vastly different from saying there is no god.

Even saying one believes or does not believe in a god, a goddess or multiples thereof is semantically problematic because we all use the word believe in a different way.

A Christian friend believes in god and for her, that belief is an absolute conviction of its existence. I believe in a pantheon of goddesses and gods, but that belief is not all that absolute, so trying to actually define an atheist or even a theist is not a simple thing, but it makes for good conversation.

Anyone for a glass of Port and some dark chocolate as we talk about this?

Dan