[bct] Re: Website Development And Authoring Tools Information Wanted

  • From: Steve Matzura <number6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 23:39:14 -0400

Marvin, I hope your message generates a lot of good replies.  I gave
up on coding web pages in Notepad about two versions of HTML ago. It's
now just too complicated if you want your web page to be anything more
than straight text, and if you want positioning of pictures in any
kind of way that makes sensory sense to a sighted person rather than
just dropping them willy-nilly wherever they might fit.  And forget
about buttons that say things on them for sighted people to click, or
text boxes with special stuff embedded in them, ... I wouldn't know
how to do that stuff in Notepad on a bet any more.

When I was working for IBM a couple years back, there was a disabled
employees' in-company email list where there were a couple folks,
totally blind, who were working on Websphere using Dream Weaver which
they said was very accessible and created what they were told were
pretty nice-looking web pages.  Dream Weaver is supposed to be an
industry standard these days.  Have you tried it?  I've never had my
hands on it, this is only hearsay and is now about three years old
news, but I hope it helps anyway.