[bct] Re: Web-Braille

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 20:05:20 -0400

Though many have tried, we can't legislate morality. What I mean is that there will always be a certain number of people who will break a rule just because they can. I think it might be more useful to address the reasons for piracy rather than increasing restrictions. Sometimes fixing the underlying problem can greatly reduce piracy and encourage people to do the right thing. Jonathan Mosen's tutorial system is a good example of what I'm talking about. It's accessible to most of us both financially and in terms of the player we use to listen to tutorials. People still could hack his system if they wanted. However, most of the people I know are buying the tutorials precisely because they are so easy to buy and use. For NLS and Bookshare, Restricting reading to one certain program would mean that honest people would face more hassles. Dishonest ones would find a way around the restriction, and we'd be back at square 1. I think it would be wise to ask why people are sharing their NLS and/or Bookshare accounts. Understanding and addressing those reasons might curb the rate of sharing because the reasons behind it wouldn't exist anymore.