[bct] Re: Web-Braille

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:12:05 -0800

Beth,

Web Braille books are already in grade 2 braille so they don't need to be translated if you read them with a device that is aware of braille, like the book port, braille lite, braille note, pac mate, and braille sense, and I am sure I am leaving some out; mPower is another one. I put web braille books on a compact flash card and then physically carry them to the braille lite. I used to be able to do that with the book port, but lately when I try to read a book that way, book port says it can't read unfiltered documents. I guess that was probably a recently added feature.

You could also read web braille books with a braille display attached to your PC, but the key is portability; there's nothing more pleasant than sitting outside on a lovely day and diving into a good book.

You could always translate web braille books to regular text using Duxbury or another braille translator; then you'd have the flexibility of reading them on any device you like.

Mary