[bct] Re: Web-Braille

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:43:44 -0600

Interesting comments Buddy.  I think it is most important for a child to
learn Braille because then they can learn spelling and punctuation.  A child
who has never read Braille or print can't possibly learn those things well.
I know my spelling improved tremendously when I learned Braille in eighth
grade.  I learned Braille very easily and I still use it a lot.  When I
picture a word or a phone number in my head I see it in Braille, not print.
I know what all of the print letters and numbers look like, but, my brain
sees them in Braille since I don't look at print words or numbers anymore.

I could not play Scrabble if I could not read the Braille letters on the
tiles.  An adult who loses their sight might find Braille useful, but I
don't think it is as essential.  If they can find other ways to keep records
and label things it may not seem worth the effort to learn Braille.

I am so thankful I learned Braille though and I find it very useful.  I
think not teaching a blind child Braille is doing them a huge disservice.
Since I have a degenerative eye condition I think the powers that be should
have taught me Braille much sooner, but, better late than never.

Joni