[bct] Using Duxbury for Braille Pictures

  • From: "Don" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:17:19 -0500

I am new to the list so sorry if this has been covered, but just thought
folks would want to know that Mary's great podcasts on creating Braille
pictures can be easily entered on the computer and saved using the Duxbury
for Windows Braille translation software.  I did the Valentine's card this
way and was easily thus able to fix mistakes I had made in the entering of
the Braille symbols.  To do this, just keep in mind the following rules:

1. Open the file as a Braille file instead of a print file as it does not
need to be translated at all.  You are entering it exactly as it will be
embossed.

2. Turn off six key entry by hitting f2.  You want to enter the material
using the qwerty keys instead of the six-key method which Duxbury allows
for.

3. You will have to learn the ASCII representations of the Braille
characters.  So for example, when Mary says, enter dots 1 5 and 6, you would
simply hit the colon (shift semi-colon) on the computer keyboard which is
the computer Braille sign for dots 1 5 and 6.  Dots 1 and 4 is the letter c,
dots 1 2 and 6 is the less-than sign on the keyboard (shifted comma), dots 3
4 and 5 is the greater-than sign (shifted period), dots 3 and 5 is the
number 9, and dots 2 and 6 is the number 5 on the keyboard.  Simply use the
space bar to enter the required spaces and of course the enter key to go to
new lines.

4. After you are done entering the data and are ready to emboss, save the
file and simply hit control-e to emboss.  Remember, do not format or
translate the file.  You are entering it exactly as it needs to be embossed.

Have fun.

Don Barrett