[bct] Update on my podcasts' progress

  • From: "Debee Norling" <debee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blindcooltech@Freelists. Org" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:10:39 -0800

Thanks to Robert Carter who recorded last Saturday night's informal clicker
training chat. I decided to upload the raw, unedited recording to Larry
because the bit rate was pretty low. I didn't figure that editing could
improve it any.

It's a lively chat, so if you missed it you'll want to watch your podcatcher
for it to appear. Poor Larry is getting so much material though, we want to
cut him some slack; I know it will appear when he gets time.

I am doing a final clicker training roundup for the series. After Part 5,
then which I'm still working on, I don't plan to cast any more about this
topic. I've tried to get more recordings of me working with Boston, but they
are largely boring and silent. It's best not to jabber at a dog when he's
learning something new, and I use a lot of hand signals anyway, so working
with him live just doesn't make for interesting listening.

So I'll be switching my efforts over to de-gunking my three computers. Part
2 of that cast is coming along nicely and I hope to finish it in the next
five days. I'll upload notes to go along with that cast as well.

Then it's easter break and I'm on vacation. I'm taking my husband on a
surprise amtrak trip and I'll try to record some of that. He hates being
recorded so it might not make it to a podcast. I can't wait to use my
binaurals in outdoor markets and street fairs and train stations.

And when I return to work in the second week of April, I will be quite busy
as I always am at the start of the quarter.

So I'll probably disappear out of sight for a while when I get real busy and
need to work late. I'll need to get sixty to eighty textbooks scanned within
the first two weeks of Spring quarter and in the evenings, I have no energy
left. But in a month or so, it will get less busy again.

I am hoping to finish the de-gunking series before my really busy time at
work hits, but  I may not get a chance to do that. On the other hand, fewer
students might enroll in Spring quarter and I won't have to work late which
will be really nice. It's hard to tell. Ever since another local college was
sued by a blind student for not providing alternate media in a timely
manner, our administration somehow thinks that just pressuring me to work
faster is the best way they can avoid being sued themselves. Their
prescription seems to be "hire a blind person, tell her to work at 100%
efficiency and you will be safe from lawyers." Isn't the ADA fun!!!

--Debee

* The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has
occurred.