• From: "Dana Niswonger" <dniswonger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 05:45:22 -0600

Hi Mary:
I too enjoyed my first taste of real life in the big city at the Orientation Center in 1973. There were a lot of really neat folks who worked their that set me strait on a lot of my problems with blindness. It turned out that I was a great cane traveler and gained the respect of the other students as I new and could remember all the streets in the areas where I went on mobility lessons. Mike Higgins was one of my instructors and failed every time at confusing me on those wonderful drop off lessons they all loved so much. Once, he drove me around for 45 minutes of the hour, stopping in the middle of the block to make me think I was at an intersection and then dropped me off right behind the wood shop at the center. He was so upset when I simply walked through the back gate by the cafeteria arriving back in the complex proper, meeting him in the coffee room, laughing my ass off. Dianne, Jim and even Rich did everything they could to mess with me but none of it ever worked, lol! It still makes me laugh when I think about that great place. I was very saddened to hear of its demise and subsequent closure. I have since learned of many who both taught and attended OCB. from Marsha who also attended. Have a great Sunday!