• From: "Everett Latta" <WTF2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:29:38 -0600

How many of you have received tax supported schooling or job training and
are still unemployed and would work if given the chance?

I read somewhere several years ago that close to 80 percent of working age
blind people can not get a self-supporting job and live free from additional
government financial assistance. Within the 80 percent the totally blind had
an 80 percent of unemployment.

Most of  the partial and totally blind who did get jobs only worked at entry
level wages or slightly above the Federal minimum wage standard.

I assume these numbers are reflected throughout the world.

I was curious and did a Google search and found the articles dealing with
blind employment and again this was several years ago and hopefully the
numbers have changed in our favor but I seriously doubt it not angry just
stating what I have seen to be true in talking with local area blind people.