[bct] Trimmings Stir-Fry

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:06:31 +1100

Yes, I can really understand!

One thing I think its important to do is laugh at ourselves whenever
we can. I've been told thats something Australians do quite well. I
also find it often helps sighted people feel more relaxed around
you. In these days of political correctness, people can get nervous
about offending you. By making some sometimes tasteless blind jokes,
they relax a bit and treat you as they treat others.

I did something like this only a couple of weeks back. I had to go to
an important dinner at the University I work at. A rather important
member of parliment was at the dinner and I had met him once
before. Someone asked if we had met and I said know because I'd
forgotten we had been introduced some years ago. The MP corrected me
and said we had met before. I apologised and said "I'm sorry, I have a
terrible memory for faces". It broke the ice and I actually think the
MP had a more relaxing time with me than anyone else as he ended up
asking me to join him after dinner to drink a few night caps at a
hotel. This was great as many of my other co-workers were a bit
shocked as I got into his flash car, escorted by his security and we
left to go to a bar. We had a good time and I now have some excellent
gossip about some of our countries fine leaders!