[bct] Traveling with hearing loss

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:12:45 -0800

Here is my comment on traveling with hearing problems; this is a repeat from yesterday, so the rest of you can disregard it.

Hi all,
In addition to descriptive video, I've always had trouble with NFB's
position on pedestrian signals. I need any help I can get if I need to cross
a street; being deaf on one side, everything sounds like it's coming out of
the sky. I've been knocked down by a milk truck, and once a car knocked me
down, and I've come close a few other times, even had my cane run over but
fortunately it didn't break so I was ok, but I think common sense and using
any tools we can have available is much more sensible than just saying sound
signals should be banned completely. In fact, in some places the lights even
have vibrations so people with hearing loss can tell when to cross, although
if there's a right on red law in effect, it could still be dangerous because
that's how the milk truck hit me; I had the light and he was turning right.
He was on my deaf side so I had no idea he was there.

I know I'm missing out on all the stereo effects on the podcasts, but I'm
thankful to be able to hear what I can with my stereo set to monaural. When
I send podcasts up to BCT I use headphones and listen with the left channel
on my good side, then turn the headphones around to hear the other channel
on my good side so at least I know things are getting sent up with both
channels and about the same volume. I hope it sounds reasonably decent.