[bct] Re: Transcription

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:34:10 -0800

Rose,

The only comment I have about your article is that there needed to be a transition sentence before the paragraph that starts "When I press F5 to enter the interfaces." At that point, you are beginning to talk about the job-specific transcription software you use, and you are not directly focused on Jaws itself and how it works. This could be very confusing because people still assume you are discussing Jaws specifically. Maybe a sentence such as the following could have been inserted: "Here is a description of how I use our transcription setup with Jaws, beginning with how I enter the transcription software with F5."

I wrote professionally for years and found that while writing technical manuals, it never hurt to have some transition statements such as this to make things clear. Sometimes I neglected to put them in, and people got confused. Maybe I assumed they knew what I was talking about, but they didn't understand until I was able to focus their attention gradually on another aspect of the subject.

Mary