[bct] Tolkien and other stuff

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bct" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 22:47:37 -0800

Hi all,

There is a collection (I got it on four tapes) of Tolkien reading parts of his
books, and singing and reciting some of the poetry; one tape, the final one in
the set, is Christopher Tolkien reading from the Silmarillion. I hope it's
still available; I plan to copy it to CD in a day or two. Have put it off for a
long time and now is the time to do it. I got it from audiobooks.com.

I'll be doing a podcast on C. S. Lewis's books, both the Narnia series and the
space trilogy. I have them on tape, also from audiobooks.com. Lewis, Tolkien
and a few others gathered regularly to read and critique their work as it was
being written; they were called the Inklings. They broke up after Tolkien and
Lewis had a parting of the ways, but it must have been a remarkable experience
to be part of the creation of such great literature.

NLS has the Tolkien books on web braille and they are worth getting if you're a
braille reader; you can see the proper spelling of words; I referred to them
when I first got the films on DVD. I wish they'd braille the Lewis books; they
did the Narnia books and those are out on web braille; I downloaded Out of the
Silent Planet from Bookshare. I have the three books in the space trilogy in
print and intend to scan them some time; not sure when though. The three books
are:
Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength