[bct] Re: To Larry and Others

  • From: "Larry Skutchan" <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 14:12:07 -0500

Hi, thanks very much for the offer.

I think, however, what we all need to do first is correct the speech crashing issue on our machines. This is absurd that we are exposed to such a volnerability at all. I have temporarily switched my Window-eyes to the DecTalk access32 engine and while I don't like it quite as well, at least I know it is free from this flaw.

Next, I would contact your speech manufacturer and ask them if there is an update to the Eloquence they are using and get on the list to get that update if you're going to continue to use Eloquence.

The only real way to stop this kind of thing is to go to a full moderated list where someone has to approve each message. I really have been wanting to move toward a more open list, but maybe I am having second thoughts about going quite that far any more. In any case, I don't a moderated list is an option for the long haul. There are simply too many messages in this list, and part of the appeal to the list is the response times and the open nature of it. We may have to switch to moderated for a while until things calm down, but we must all face it. There are people like this everywhere that can disrupt your day if they make an effort to do so pretty well no matter what you do.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chetan Bakhru" <bubblywubblyhindu@xxxxxxxxx>