[bct] The Ipod is Spared!

  • From: "Dana Niswonger" <dniswonger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:22:32 -0600

Hi Friends:
First, I want to thank those of you who wrote in response to my pole, Smashing
The Ipod.  I received a number of good suggestions.  I am happy to report that
after four hours and lots of trial and error with a sighted friend that my Ipod
is spared certain death or donation.

Formatting the Ipod Shuffle is an easy task accomplished by simply going to the
control panel and selecting my computer.  When you plug the Ipod into the USB.
port Windows detects it and assigns it a drive letter, in my case the letter is
F.  I arrowed down to drive F. and pressed the applications key.  This brings
up a context menu which contains the format option.  Pressing enter here brings
up a message telling me that all information on drive F. will be lost by
formatting.  Pressing enter again starts the format process which takes a few
seconds.  Now I am ready to begin the task of copying files to my Ipod.

I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I ripped all my CD's with
Windows Media Player.  I now know what the letters WMA. mean and yet one more
reason why I don't like Windows applications.  Bad Windows Media Player,
selfish Windows Media Player, egotistical Windows Media Player, wanting a file
type all your own!  Tell us how you feel about the Windows Media Player Dana!
The Ipod Shuffle, the model I have only likes MP3 files.  Unless or until I
figure out a way to convert AA. and WMA. files to MP3 files I cannot send music
ripped with, dare I say it again, Windows Media Player nor books purchased from
Audible to my Ipod.  I am now reripping all my CD's using Premier CD creator
thanks to Lois who posted about it, I am also uninstalling, here it comes
again, Windows Media Player and all 322 of my previously ripped CD's.

Now for the software that worked for me to transfer MP3 files to my Ipod
Shuffle.  After a good deal of consideration and experimentation I decided on
Anapod Shuffle.  For some reason I cannot figure out, V-pod just wouldn't
recognize my Ipod Shuffle.

Upon entering Anapod Shuffle I press the shift tab key.  I am in a list view
much like the start menu.  You must first arrow down to the Ipod Memory item
and press enter.  This allows Anapod to recognize my device as a formatted Ipod
Shuffle for the first time, I do not need to do this again.  I am then returned
to the same list view and I press the letter M. until I get to the my documents
folder.  Pressing the tab key here takes me to another window that contains the
tree view of all items in the my documents folder.  Pressing the letter M.
again, as most of the elements in this folder begin with the letter M. takes me
through the tree until I get to the sub folder I am interested in copying files
from.  I picked my received pod casts.  Pressing the tab key again takes me to
the list of items in this sub folder.  The free trial version of Anapod Shuffle
does not allow the copying of multiple files.  Using the down arrow key, I
select a file to be copied.  Pressing the applications key brings up a menu
that contains both the copy and paste options.  Pressing enter on the copy
option stashes it in a temporary buffer somewhere.  I am returned to the tree
view again and press the shift tab key.  I am now back in the folder list view
and I press the letter I. until I get to the Ipod Shuffle memory item on the
list.  Pressing the applications key again brings up the menu containing the
paste option and when I press enter on it, the file is copied to the Ipod
Shuffle in two seconds.  Repeating the steps in this paragraph, except step
one, is the only way to continue copying MP3 files to my Ipod Shuffle until
later today when I buy the Anapod Shuffle program.

I can't believe that this little thing, no bigger than a Lady Finger or Nutter
Butter cookie really works and has such great sound through these ear buds.  It
also amazes me that given the size of a single song MP3 file, I will be able to
store 200 songs on it as well.  Finally, a sound at the end of the tunnel!