[bct] Re: The C word that crashes Jaws

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:31:06 -0600

hi. It has been possible to change your default synthesizer for a very long time now, I can't even remember when it started but it has been possible in a lot of previous versions. To do this:

1.

press insert plus f6 to open the configuration manager.
2. You need to be in the default .jcf file, so press control plus shift plus d.

3. Now go to set options, and then go to synthesizer options...
4. the first combo box will allow you to set your default synthesizer. On my particular system, I have 5 choices. Dectalk Express, Dectalk access 32, Eloquence for JAWS,
No speech which none of us wants, and Sapi 5.
So set this option to something *other* than eloquence. If you choose Sapi 5, the sapi 5 synthesizer you choose in the options/voices section will come up. so if you chose AT&T natural voices Mike 16, that's what'll come up when JAWS starts.
So make your choice and then you can choose the punctuation level for it or just leave it at the default. then press ok and save your changes. The next time you restart JAWS, that voice will come up.
Hope this helps some folks out.

At 09:11 PM 3/19/2006, you wrote:
I was reading my email and came across that "buzz word." I was kinda freaked out when Eloquence just stopped dead in his tracks. So I rebooted my system, and I switched to Microsoft Mary. In the beta of JAWS 7.1, it is possible to switch your default speech synth. I will contend that the Microsoft voices are far from the best out there, but I don't want another crash either. I could've used DEC-talk but it won't work for some reason. This is the software version.
Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Skarstad" <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>