[bct] Tagging MP3's

  • From: Samuel Joehl <sjoehl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:55:17 -0800 (PST)

In a previous podcast, Larry mentioned that he uses a program to tag his MP3's
from www.softpointer.com.  I went to the site, and found a free program called
Audioshell which integrates into Windows explorer and allows you to tag your
files.  Well, first, they provided no directions on how to use the program.  I
eventually figured out that if I open a file's properties, there were two new
tabs added at the top: one for ID# information and one for ID3 tag editing.
When I went to the editor and tried to tab through the fields, my screen reader
was silent.  Not only did it not read the field label, but it did not announce
that I was in an edit box.  It was very difficult to figure out what fields
were being filled in, especially since tab order does not move progressively
down the screen.
How have blind people gotten this program to work?  Is there something better
out there?  Winamp 5.11 doesn't read the field labels correctly in its own tag
editor, and I like having a separate program that doesn't require me to open or
play the file in order to tag it.  I was able to tag my files using Foobar
2000, but that was very time-consuming.