[bct] Re: Sunday Evening Hollistic voice chat

  • From: "M. Dimitt" <jamdim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 09:44:57 -0700

MessageHi, List:
I second Kai's statements as well.
Jamie D.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kai
  To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 9:44 PM
  Subject: [bct] Re: Sunday Evening Hollistic voice chat

  Greetings List.

  I have to object at this statement.
  How much "quality" do you really need in these chats anyway? I mean, it's
really only a vocal stream. In this situation, a 22KHZ sampling rate is
probably more than sufficient. No one's going to be broadcasting high quality
music or any other kind of audio feed.

  While it might be nice for the techies to have these cool numbers designating
higher "quality", I still think that it's more often than not overkill. That
also means a waste of bandwidth. Why spend 50% of your bandwidth just for a
little bit higher quality which most won't even notice or care about, when you
can do the same conference using just 20%?

  Quality is nice when it comes to sound seeing tours and other audio-sensitive
recordings. For everything else, I don't think technical specs matter as much
as  the material being discussed, and the people participating.

  Kai