[bct] Re: Sunday Evening Hollistic voice chat

  • From: "Kai" <kaixiong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:44:05 -0800

Greetings List.

I have to object at this statement.
How much "quality" do you really need in these chats anyway? I mean,
it's really only a vocal stream. In this situation, a 22KHZ sampling
rate is probably more than sufficient. No one's going to be broadcasting
high quality music or any other kind of audio feed.

While it might be nice for the techies to have these cool numbers
designating higher "quality", I still think that it's more often than
not overkill. That also means a waste of bandwidth. Why spend 50% of
your bandwidth just for a little bit higher quality which most won't
even notice or care about, when you can do the same conference using
just 20%?

Quality is nice when it comes to sound seeing tours and other
audio-sensitive recordings. For everything else, I don't think technical
specs matter as much as  the material being discussed, and the people
participating.

Kai