[bct] Re: Studio Recorder podcast

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:52:40 -0600

Brent, you make a good point.  And now that Dan has found both Sound
forge and the noise reduction plug in for even less, it is quite
appealing.  The noise reduction plug in in Sound Forge is quite good,
however, with all such modules, you can try to do to much at one time
and introduce unwanted results that sound rather like sampling rate
problems.  This is especially noticeable in breath sounds if you are
recording a narration and taking out too much noise.  But there are a
number of options in the sound forge Noise plug in that help minimize
this.  One of the things I find appealing about Studio Recorder is the
recent things they have done to the fade option.  I don't remember what
Rob called it but it was the ability to not only set a db level to a
fade but a percentage value.  This gives the user much the same control
that sighted people would have over drawing an envelop for a graphic
fade.  What's nice about sound forge though, is that you can do some of
these graphic things with the keyboard and in any case, however you set
it up, you can save it as a preset with the name of your choice so you
won't have to ever set it up again.  They are both very nice products
with Sound forge being the most advanced but Studio Recorder perhaps
being the most accessible.  I will say, however, that the Snowman
scripts make sound forge quite accessible as well, but not to the same
degree, perhaps, as Studio Recorder.