[bct] Re: Studio Recorder

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:09:32 -0800

There is a great podcast that Larry uploaded last Friday or Saturday, called
mix mix mix. Rob Meredith talks about the subject of how to mix with Studio
Recorder. It is wonderfully helpful, and I used it and the new edition of the
manual to learn how to do it. There are different ways of doing the same thing;
for my begin and end theme, I just inserted the file with the music, and then I
did shift and the letter A to set up the sound layering or what you could call
sound on sound, and then I did control-home to go to the top of the file, and
space to play, and then spoke. You can't hear yourself through the headphones
when you do this type of recording, or at least I couldn't, but it gets the job
done. When you're done you just space again to stop. The problem with this is
that you can't control sound levels, so there is a little more elaborate method
that involves inserting your music file, then control N to open a new document;
this new one will be your second track. Then in this new document, shift and
the letter A to get sound layering set up, then switch to your first document
which could be accompaniment or whatever, and then play it; this starts the
recording in the second, new, track, so you can harmonize or whatever; then
instead of just the stop command, you have to use shift-escape which stops
everything. The final step is to mix the two together; there may be a keyboard
shortcut for that, but what I had to do was go into the menus, and I had to
search for the mix command; not sure just where that is; it could be in the
process section but I'm not sure. Once you press enter on mix, you get into a
dialog where it asks about sound levels and stuff.

It just involves a lot of playing around but it is marvelous! The great thing
is you can add as many tracks as you want, and it's limited by disk space and
computer memory.

I think of all the times I used a Tascam four-track recorder and thought it was
so cool, but this is better!