[bct] Re: Squealing tapes

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:17:32 -0800

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I have heard that the tape squealing is caused by the materials from which the tapes are constructed degenerating and there isn't anything that can be done about the squealing. I've heard that tapes, especially reel to real, that have been archived for decades have the same problem. I had lots of problems with reel to reel tapes squealing which was particularly annoying when I had people reading my textbooks onto tape in college. I haven't had too many cassettes do it but have experienced some NLS books with the problem, and they were usually books I wanted to read and had waited to get for years. It's a shame nothing can be done about it.