[bct] Re: Speech rates in podcasts

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:14:35 -0600

Hi Rick
For your speech to be understood by pretty much everybody, I would say you might wanna drop it down to like 20% or so. Also, with the speech kind of being in the background, if you keep it at a faster rate, it's not very easy to understand, at least for my ear. That's the thing though, I know people, some even may be on this list who can understand eloquence at like 400 words per minute,
Personally I think that's impossible, but what do I know?
I enjoy my speech at a more conversational level. Not too fast so it all sounds like kjasfiajgijfklfkjhkjfhaskfaikjjakfjallgiaj. but not, so, slow, that, it, sounds, like, the, synthesizer, is, taking, for, ever, know what I mean?
You just have to find something that's a happy medium. Speech is a subjective thing and you'll probably get lots of different answers.

At 10:35 AM 3/11/2006, you wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a question. What is considered a normal speech rate? I have heard much faster speech rates on podcasts in the past than I do on mine. But my rate on JAWS is set at 40% I think. A few have commented on my rates being a bit fast. Give me some feedback so I can set my rates for future podcasts.

Contact Information:

Skype ID: rharmon928
MSN ID: rharmon928
Email: <mailto:rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 330-724-6093
Location: Akron, Ohio USA

"The chief handicap of the blind is not blindness, but the attitude of seeing people towards them."
- Helen Keller, 1925