[bct] Speaking of data recovery

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:45:31 -0400

Speaking of this kind of thing, I just got into a rather frustrating
situation and thought maybe Phil or someone else here can help.

I'm cannibalizing a non-functional old PC with three hard drives. My plan
was to buy an external hard drive enclosure in order to reclaim the contents
of these drives, but it turns out that the drives are apparrently too old
for today's enclosures--the drives use the old standard 40-pin IDE
connectors and the enclosures all seem to come with newer 34-pin connectors
and will not work. I've been told officially by the support department of
the manufacturer of the enclosure I'd purchased (Fanner USA) that they do
not make a product that will support my drives and the folks at Tiger Direct
have also told me that they do not have any such boxes available.

Does anyone know of an external hard drive enclosure that will support older
(circa 1998) drives with the 40-pin configuration? The data's definitely not
worth paying the monstrous rates that professional data recovery companies
want, but I'd still like to be able to recover it and perhaps even use the
drives as extra storage. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

 Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL