[bct] Re: Speach synthesisers

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:17:03 -0600

Riz, I may not answer your question, but perhaps I'll raise some points
I have considered.
It's funny, had you asked me this question 10 years ago when speech
synthesizers were not all that good, I would have said, "Give me one
that sounds like a real voice."  But, in my research at Trace, I have
listened to many of the new ones that do use the voices of real people
to create the phonemes used in creating the speech.  What I have found,
and this is simply my own opinion, is that I can tolerate a synthetic
voice better than a real voice synthesizer.  The reason for me is that
actually synthesized voices, while coming up with reasonable intonation,
do not do it perfectly.  They do not raise and lower the voice in the
same pattern as a human speaker might.  However, I have gotten used to
this.  What I find disconcerting about the new real voice synthesizers
is that because they sound like humans and yet there intonation is not
much better than synthesized speech, they sound quite foreign to me.
It's like having a real person speaking but randomly selecting the pitch
of each word as they speak.  I know this is not how they do it, but it
sometimes comes across that way.  In addition, many I have heard have
problems when it comes to slurring words together.

I am sure both of these problems will lessen as time goes by, but for
now, I'll stick with my synthesized speech.  Actually there is another
reason.  I read at about 750 words per minute.  Again it's what I am
used to, but hearing a human sound voice with poor intonation speaking
at 750 words per minute really sounds strange to my ears.  Notice, I
said, "To my ears."  I would like to hear from people who have gotten
used to some of the new human sounding voices.  I would especially like
to know at what speed they read.
Just my 2 cents and inflation is rapidly decreasing the worth of that 2