[bct] Re: Speach synthesisers

  • From: "Frank/Joyce Brown" <fb0055@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:56:10 -0600

Hello Dan and list,
I've had success using Window Eyes, a laptop computer and a Dectalk Express. I use a serial to usb converter. The trick is to find the corect com that the computer asigns to it. Dectalk Express didn't work at first so I looked in the synthasizers property sheet in the Wineyes control pannel. The default for Dectalk Express was com 3. But I also noticed that there were more than four com ports listed. There was also a com 5 6 7 and 8 listed. Just for grins I changed from com 3 to 5 and Dectalk started working. I have no idea why. I've disconnected my Usb hub to take my computer with me on a trip and when I came back home and reconnected my Usb hub Dectalk didn't work. This time the computer had assigned it to com 6. The point to all this is to check all your com ports and make sure the device isn't hidingsomewhere you don't expect it to be. HTH.

Frank Brown