[bct] Re: Social work

  • From: "Rick Harmon" <rickharmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:19:01 -0500

Hi Slithy

Thank you for all the comments, I think I agree with you on all of them.  I've
did quite well with my screen reader due to the fact I've been working on
computers for the last 26 years.  Most all of it was sighted.  So I have a leg
up there.  Yes this list and other list have helped me greatly.  I enjoy this
list the most since it's mostly unmoderated.

I have went to a couple of places around here but all want much more money than
I can afford for any kind of independent living training.  So for now I just do
the best I can do with the training I have been given.  I won't give up and
sooner or later I will get good at it all.

I was told that my last case worker had 125 cases that they were responsible
for, I assume that is a very heavy load.  I know the VR won't hold my hand
every step I take, I guess having no where else to turn to at the moment leaves
me a bit  depressed.

I have looked on the web  a lot for advice and at times I have gotten a lot of
good advice, I just don't always know how to follow up on it.

Everyone here seems to be doing so well too, I've been blind since September
2004.  I just don't feel that I have made the amount of progress that I should
have by now.  I often wonder how long it will take me to be as independent as
everyone here seems to be.  I know most on this list have been blind for years
though and have had lots more practice at it  than I have.
If anyone here would like to share their experiences in coping with blindness
and independent living, I would love to hear about it.

Helen Keller