[bct] Re: Smoking

  • From: Slythy_Tove <mcg907@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:38:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi Beth,

My mother died of mesothelioma - a type of lung cancer/chest wall cancer
associated with asbestos - and compounded by the fact asbestos used to be used
- may still be used for all I know - in filters on cigarettes.  She was a
long-time smoker who started smoking as a way to fend off men she was on dates
with when she did not want to be annoyed - she was really cute.  Unfortunately,
women get hooked far more easily than men do and she was stuck with a monkey on
her back.

Women tend to get cancer worse than men because our lungs are proportionately
smaller.  We tend to smoke filtered.  We tend to inhale more deeply, for some

Women who work in bars and restaurants where there is smoke are getting lung
cancer from second hand smoke.  So do men, but more women work in food service
and other low paying jobs where they are exposed to a lot of smoke than men do.
 People who lived over bars and other smoke filled places were getting exposure
from smoke flowing up and into their homes.

California's  health department recently declared tobacco a toxic fume with the
same level of toxicity as diesel and benzine.  This has opened the way to ban
smoking in cars and homes where there are children present.

Courts have already ruled that there is no constitutional right to smoke in
some local cases (nothing has really hit the supremes on that exact issue) but
there is a constitutional right to be free of hazards and toxins (although I'll
be darmed if I can remember just what this might be).   So for people who are
having problems stopping smoking - the question might become all but moot in
coming decades if one cannot smoke in an apartment because it could travel
between floors and not smoke in the presence of children.

I commiserate with the smoker who is addicted, but not enough to want
secondhand smoke infiltrating my apartment from the one below and causing me to
have asthma attacks.  So, I see the beginning of the end for smoking in America
- we're just exporting it to the rest of the world now.

Interestingly enough - the people most likely to smoke are those least likely
to be able to afford it.  Only about 1/4 of Americans now smoke and the tobacco
companies are still aggressively marketing to lower economic class children to
replenish the ranks of dying smokers.  Ahh, what you learn in consumer
protection classes about merchants of death.