[bct] Smoking

  • From: "beth" <fb-oe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:57:22 -0500

Mom smoked for many years--and her lung cancer probably was related to
smoking.  Of course, now, more women are getting lung cancer even without
smoking.  Mom's first bout was diagnosed because of a chest x-ray preop for
leg surgery, so they did a lobectomy and claimed they got it all--which, of
course, I know now is impossible--they can't get every cell.  She did not
need chemo or radiation.  Her particular kind of cancer usually does not
recur ... but Mom was unique--unfortunately, in that way also--and it did.
She had low dose chemo but she didn't make it.  However, she outlived her
oncologist's prediction.  She had quit smoking in 1969 and her first cancer
occurred in 1994.  We had thought that your lungs returned to pre smoking
health after 15 years of nonsmoking but I later read--and Mom proved--that
this is not true.  Want to quit smoking?  Mom said have a sip of milk--no,
not Scotch, lol--when you want to smoke, milk does not go with
cigarettes--or any kind of tobacco, I guess.  Beth