[bct] Re: Single point stereo microphones.

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:56:03 -0600

Jenny, the least expensive single point stereo Audio Technica microphone
I know of is the AT822 microphone that sells for about $350.  The
individual mike capsules are fixed at 120 degrees which gives a very
nice stereo separation.  You can hear it demonstrated on the podcast I
did on Microphone Placement.  It is the one I was using when my family
was playing the word game.  Now, because I deal with mostly professional
audio, I cannot swear that they don't make something less expensive, but
this is the one I know of.  It has a signal to noise ratio of about 73
DB and I believe the in ear mikes from sound professionals is at about
62.  This means that the Audio Technica mike will have about 11 DB less
noise in the mike itself.  To give you a pointer, Since DB ratings are
logarithmic, 11 DB less sound will give you a noise that is about 28.8%
of the noise of the sound professional mikes.  The other thing IL like
about the AT822 is that it requires only a double A battery which is
supposed to last for about 3000 hours.  And, it has a bass roll off
switch to get rid of low frequency sounds which really does cut down on
the likelihood of being distorted.