[bct] Sight

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:19:42 -0800

Hi Dan and list,

I've never seen, but I think I had an experience that was sort of similar to sight. When I was about 5 years old, I had my tonsils out and they gave me ether. It was terrifying because nobody told me what would happen to me. When the ether smell got so strong I could not stand it, I suddenly felt like little lights were moving and jumping around me; I guess a sighted person would say they were seeing stars. I didn't know what it was, but it scared me. I suppose after that I passed out, because I vaguely recall my face being submerged (near the surface of course) in water and rinsed off; I bet the ether made me sick, but I don't remember that. I then remember that either I was crying, or the kid in the bed next to me was crying; and somebody said something about how I was waking myself up. Then the universe took on its usual dimensions and pace of activity. But that terrifying bunch of lights moving so fast around me was so alien and unfamiliar, especially for a small child who has no idea what's going on, and nobody to ask.

Fortunately, when my sister had her tonsils out at age twelve, they gave her a quick shot and she was out like a light. They did that to me when I had dental surgery and later eye surgery, so fortunately ether was no longer a part of the procedure.

Did any of you who were born blind go through anything like this?

Mary