[bct] Re: Should we do a chat on improving software accessibility?

  • From: Krister Ekstrom <krister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:47:48 +0200

Tiffany Black wrote:
> Silly question, but what does reclassing windows mean?
Jaws and Window eyes have a tool that lets you tell the program what
type of object you're on by using the class name of the object. Let's
take an example:
You are on a control that has a text, but right out of the box you can't
see what the control actually is, so you decide to make an attempt at
reclassing that control. You hit the command for reclassing and there
pops up a dialog with an edit box which usually has focus when you come
in to the dialog and a list box.
The edit box could tell you something like "class name: TCheckbox"
that's the name of the class of the object you're on. Ok, so now you
know that the control is a check box then you tab over to the list box.
This box contains things like radio button, scroll bar, edit box etc.
You arrow down this list box until you find the line that says "check
box". Then there could be other parameters as well, but in our example
we leave it at that and tab to the "OK" button and hit it.
What we've just done is to tell the screen reader that the control it
didn't recognize is a check box and if everything works well, you should
now be able to check or uncheck the box and hear the status of the
control because now the screen reader knows what control it is focusing.
You have reclassed a window!
This was very simplified but i hope it clarifies things.
- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (MingW32)