[bct] Re: Should we do a chat on improving software accessibility?

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:55:35 -0700

Debee, two things.

DVD burners: have you gone to readingmadeeasy.com? They have something called Premier CD/DVD Creator which has worked well with CD's (although one section of it needs work); I have not tried it with DVD's yet. The code works although I find the text messages need grammatical and spelling corrections, as does the documentation; you can go to the site, tab down to products, then tab down to Premier CD/DVD creator.

Talking to software developers: One factor you left out is schedules and work load. Many times I tried to encourage IBM to improve their software so that blind customers and employees could use it; the reaction I got most often was, "We don't have time, and we won't until an upcoming release that may or may not happen for another few years, depending on the spring and fall plans for the next couple years"; another was, "We don't have enough people to take on the work load"; the third was, "Funds aren't available to pay for the testing, special setup, testers involved to do the test cases and design the test strategy." So it isn't always just a matter of convincing people; the corporate factor needs to be considered; the marketability is another thing; why should companies expend the effort when the demand isn't too large? Yes, blind people are vocal; yes, we are important; but in the overall scheme of things, we are not a very large population, and corporate focus, regardless of company size, is on how to sell more product and make a bigger profit, and how to do it cheap and save company expenditures.

Ok, i'll shut up.

Mary Emerson
E-mail: maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name: mkemerson