[bct] Shamanism

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:22:38 -0500

Indeed, Shamanism or Shamanic practice is the oldest form of any spirituality among humans, dating back probably further than we can imagine. We can discern that some Shamanic practices were extant at a minimum of 35,000 years ago by the Lascoe cave paintings.

Every indigenous people has a form of Shamanism, even though the word comes from Siberia. Modern Shamanic practice differs little from that of thousands of years ago, excepting that it is no longer legal, in this country, to use mind altering substances for the altered states useful in Shamanic journeying. But, that's okay as we have developed journeying techniques that do not require chemical assistance.