[bct] Serious cat and Dog Info

  • From: "Maria R." <malyn87@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 23:33:48 -0400

Hi all,
I felt the information below was important to those of you with cats and/or 

Subject: Serious Dog Info

> Verified by Snopes
> Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted
> me
> to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and
> family.
> Please tell every cat and dog owner you know.
> Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa
> Mulch from Target to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled
> and
> it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso,
> decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large
> helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something
> new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and
> took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had
> a
> seizure and died instantly.
> Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further
> investigation on the company? s website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to
> dogs.
> Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true
> that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can
> suffer
> physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog).
> However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."
> True information about the mulch can be found here -
This site gives the following information:
> Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and
> other
> Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".
> It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really
> attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already
> occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution ? check what you
> are
> using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in
> your
> gardens.
> Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate ?
> especially dark or baker's chocolate ? which is toxic to dogs.
> Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a
> xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog
> that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean
> shells
> developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the
> stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence
> of
> lethal amounts of theobromine.
> Please email the manufacturer at
and request that accurate information about
> this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.

visit our website at:

Other related posts:

  • » [bct] Serious cat and Dog Info