[bct] Re: Screen readers

  • From: "Bill Belew" <bill@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:13:46 -0800

Hi Neal,
I completely agree with you in being concerned about starting some argument
about which screen reader is best.  As you say, by far most people will
always say the one they use is best because that is the only one they know
well enough to get stuff done.  Very few people master more than one well
enough to meaningfully judge the relative value.  I have found that a lot of
folks who are doing very high-level computer work such as students in
engineering and other complex areas, find that it is almost necessary to own
both of our main screen readers for the U.S.  One will perform better in a
given area than the other.  Of course, people will correctly say "who can
afford one, much less two", and that is truly a problem.  However, it just
wouldn't be possible for us to have the high-level of screen access without
the work that the companies have done and they wouldn't be around without
charging enough to stay in business.
Anyone trying to decide which program to put their resources into should
consider several factors.  Which one are people they interact with using,
which one is used at schools or agencies that they frequent, what kind of
training and support do they have access to, and, in some cases, what
specific software is important for them.
I have works extensively with two screen readers for over ten years and I
find that most tasks can be handle equally well with either one.  The main
differences have to do with the feel which gets back to what you are most
familiar with.  My favorite is still the one that I first earned and became
used to.