[bct] Re: Screen readers

  • From: "Mary Emerson" <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:40:46 -0800

My screen reader preference is Jaws, because braille support is wonderful. I
found that Window Eyes didn't allow me to adjust braille parameters for
individual applications and that was a definite requirement when I was working,
and when I used main frame equipment with a 3270 terminal emulator,  I had to
be able to move around a screen easily without a lot of extra stuff on the
braille display. I had trouble using Window Eyes with my PC at the office
because for some reason, it would reboot every time I wanted to go out to my
company's Intranet sites. So I had to ditch Window Eyes. Most people could get
around these requirements since they used speech, but at the office I kept the
speech off, due to being on the phone a lot in system support work, and my
colleagues and I were too distracted by speech.

I guess screen reader preference is very individual and is defined not only by
what you like or prefer, but also your living and employment situation, and
whether or not you like braille. In the old days of DOS, I used braille
exclusively and never even went near speech until I started using Windows. Now
I admit to have gotten a bit spoiled by speech; I can have it read long e-mail
to me while I multi-task, making lunch or doing dishes, and it is very

Speaking of speech, somebody gave a web site where wireless computer headphones
could be obtained. Could somebody repeat that site address? I tried my wireless
headphones with the PC but there was a bit of interference that caused a large
amount of static, so I suspect that wireless PC headphones must be made
exclusively for PC use, unless there is some sort of filter that can be plugged
in to filter out the static.

Thanks, from Mary