[bct] Re: Screen readers

  • From: "Darren Duff" <dduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:53:22 -0500

My thoughts on your message.

JFW: Works good with applications that it has been configured to work
with otherwise pretty poor.

**This is not true! If you know how to script, you can make Jaws work
well with the programs that it wasn't designed to work with out of the
box. And if you do not then chances are that there are scripts that may
be had from the net that would be free or for a little money that would
make it work with a particular program in question.

This makes Jaws a very customizable screen reader and not at all
""poor.""

Hal for windows:  I find this one quite cumbersome and aqua to use and
not very intuitive.

**I know nothing about it.
Window eyes: my currant screen reader, good with programs it has been
configured and not bad on other programs, it is stable and quite
flexible.
I know nothing about it except that it is much like Jaws in that you can
use set files to customize programs to make them work well with the
screen reader.

These are my thoughts.

Darren.