[bct] Re: Samples of synthesized speech

  • From: Tim Cross <tcross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:32:50 +1100

Hi Joni,

Your difficulty in handling fast speech is not your slow southern
brain (which I bet isn't slow in reality anyway), its more a function
of what you can train yourself to get use to. The brain can process
signals extreemly rapidly if trained.

I would almost guarantee that if you spent a few hours each day
concentrating and trying to slowly increase the speech rate you wold
be very surprised at how fast you will learn to understand faster
rates of speech. I think its a bit like speed reading. In speed
reading, your first taught not to just look at letters, but rather to
look at whole words and learn to recognize the word as a pattern. Then
you are taught to look at a cuple of words at a time and then a couple
more and before you know it, your reading a whole line just by
glancing at it, then its two lines, then three and suddenly a
paragraph etc. A similar technique is taught to people learning morse
code - you don't actually listen for the dots and dashes, trying to
count how many of each therre are. Instead, you learn to just hear

Learning to handle faster rates of speech is similar. You end up not
really listening for each word, but rather groups of words or phrases.
I find I can handle very fast rates 80% of the time, but sometimes,
especially when listening to something relating to some topic which is
really foreign to me and which may have lots of new words or phrases,
I have to slow things down for a while until I get to recognize the
patterns again.