[bct] Re: Samples of synthesized speech

  • From: "Lois Goodine" <al419@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:27:39 -0800

I have listened to various samples of synthesized voices on the next up site and
while they're basically pretty good,  they sort of hiccup like they have been
dipped in booze. (Grin!).  So far I am happy with Eloquence because of its
crispness which allows me to read fairly fast.  I learned braille at age 6 or so
in the first grade at a school for the blind.  I've read many books in braille
over the years.  But I'm finding that nowadays I can read much more, and much
faster with the elequence synthesizer.  I think I'm reading around 460 WPM
according to the elequence relative calculations.  This is interesting to me
because I've always loved to read, by myself, if you will, and still do.  But
the accessibility and speed that the computer and its technology allow, have
caused me to willingly spend more  time with the synthesizers.  That's plural
because at the computer it's elequence while with the bookport,  of course, it's
double talk.  While I really like some of those other voices, until they can
cure the hiccups, I'm more comfortable with Elequence and Double Talk.