[bct] Re: Samples of synthesized speech

  • From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooltech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:30:53 -0600

Hi Tim,

I am sure you are correct in that I could train my ears and brain to
comprehend synthetic speech at a faster rate.  But, I enjoy the more relaxed
nature of reading at a normal or only slightly increased speed for pleasure
reading.  If I had to read large volumes for school or work it might be
worth the effort.

I would have to counteract the years I have trained my ears and brain to
listen closely to rapid speech in order to hear every single word and number
and transcribe it accurately in medical reports.  Some doctors like to take
a deep breath and dictate a report and then breathe again.  They speak so
rapidly that they don't even pronounce complete words.  I know others, like
Rose for example, proofread reports with rapid synthetic speech, so a person
can learn to do both: listen attentively for every syllable and listen for
patterns as in speed reading.

I found your post on the formant and concatenative speech synthesizers
fascinating.  It is the jerkiness of the join points that I hear in a lot of
the concatenative synthesizers that I generally don't like.  It will be most
interesting to see how speech synthesis continues to evolve.  Thanks for
your informative post.